Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar, I choose you!

I don't think I need to tell you what happened this past weekend because who could possibly forget when the Oscars air? Anyway, the Oscars this year were predictable for the most part although "Inglourious Basterds" didn't get the love it deserved considering how original and innovative it is. Hitler freaking dies, for goodness sakes! Surely, that should deserve an Oscar? Before I get to the Oscars though, a few other things happened over the weekend as well. There is a point to my story though and hopefully, someone won't say I found money after I tell them.

 On Friday, a few of my friends came over after work for a Bleach party. Two of them both work at McD's. Yeah, it's slightly strange because McD's has always had the reputation as the job you go to as a last resort if you are a "respectable" human being but that's not the case anymore it seems. Four of my friends work there and trust me, we're "respectable" or at least decent human beings.
Anyway, we're having this Bleach party. (By definition, a bleach party is a party in which people gather to watch bleach and eat popcorn and food.) In case you don't know what Bleach is, it's the highly popular shounen show geared towards young boys but who says high school students can't watch? Here's a hint in case you still don't know what it is:


You can also wikipedia it. Wikipedia's always the answer unless you're writing a paper. Then don't ever use it. On to the party! at this party, a most amazing cake was created. One of my friends, Tyler, just turned 18 so we made a cake for him to eat at this party. To be precise, I didn't make the cake, but to keep things simple, I'll pretend I was included in the process of making such an awesome specimen: The PIKACHU CAKE!!!


I love this pikachu cake! Isn't it so cute? I liked to stab it with my knife instead of cutting it out neatly because when you did that, Pikachu looked like he was breathing! He was so cute! After seeing that cake, I really had the urge to buy one of those super soft animal pillows that are around $50 from Elder Beerman. Then I wouldn't have to stab him with a knife! I'm not sadistic though! He was made of cupcake mix so it's ok.I wish he had been made of something that wasn't edible though so I could keep him forever and not have to worry about fungi or something infecting him. The soft animal pillows look like this:


  

Only make it PIKACHU:


 

Maybe I will actually buy that. Maybe in 3 months I'll blog about how I buy a pikachu plushie for college. Well, I guess I'll get one with my next paycheck.
On to the Oscars!


And now.....Rando presents her comments on the 82nd Annual Academy Awards!
Highlights of the night: Ben Stiller coming dressed as an avatar; Steve Martin's and Alec Baldwin's spoof of Paranormal Activity (and probably the only funny thing they did the entire night); Kathryn Bigelow's best director and best movie win (Take that, ex-husband "king of the world"); Sandra Bullock's best actress win and speech; "The Dude's" speech and win; Legion of Extraordinary Dancers; Christopher Waltz winning best supporting actor for Basterds.

Upsets of the night:Inglourious Basterds not getting enough love and....yep, Basterds not getting any love. Oh, and Moon not getting any nominations! That was upsetting for me as well since I loved Moon. The whole movie worked out. I like happy endings, and I would prefer that a movie ended happily, but it's difficult to come by a movie that is good and has a happy, non conventional ending.

To tell you the truth, I haven't seen half the movies that were nominated for Oscars this year. I haven't seen Crazy Heart, An Education, The Blind Side, Up in the Air, Precious...and then all those foreign films, etc. Yeah, I'm a hypocrite, which is why I am devoting the blog to movies for the next few weeks and watching the "major" movies and deciding whether or not they deserved to win or get recognized, my thoughts on the movie, etc. I'm not a student who's studied film studies in college or anything sophisticated like that. I'm just an average high school student who likes to watch movies so I won't sound all "the way they use the camera and how the actors became the characters, etc." Nah. Not for me. At least I watched The Hurt Locker and Avatar though! But who hasn't seen Avatar? First off in my adventure is "Up in the Air"! Goodbye and Goodnight!


Sandy

1 comment: